SWING DANCES AND
SWING DANCE CLASSES
SWING DANCE LESSONS
WE ARE A SOCIAL SWING DANCE CLUB IN THE ST LOUIS AREA PROVIDING SWING DANCE CLASSES / SWING DANCE LESSONS. DANCES AND LESSONS ARE OPEN TO EVERYONE.
SWING DANCES – 4th Thursday of month at VFW in Arnold, Mo. Next dance April 27, 2023 (dance 7-10 pm, lessons 6-7 pm)
MIDWEST SWING DANCE FEDERATION CALENDAR 2023 (click here)
Free swing dance lessons before Thursday dance. Free soda and water. JCSDC Jefferson County Swing Dance Club dances monthly on Thursdays to both east coast swing dancing and west coast swing dancing. Our Thursday dances are at 2301 Church Road, Arnold, MO 63010. Our Sat/Sun dances are no longer at 10140 Concord School Rd, St Louis, MO 63128 (Concord Farmers Club in Sappington, Missouri.) (Web Master: Bob Thurau) St Louis Swing Dance Club. East Coast and West Coast Swing Dancing St Louis.
SWING DANCE LESSONS/CLASSES
1. Swing dance lessons for beginners is from 6 – 7 pm. (before each dance).
2. John sits at the admission table, so ask him for a dance lesson.
CLUB DANCE SCHEDULE FOR 2023
1. DJ Lisa Gendron (also Rebels DJ)
2. DJ Willie Braswell
3. 1,040 sq. ft. dance floor (40 x 26)
|2023||4th Thursday of month|
Nov & Dec – 3rd Thursday
|All members welcome|
at board meetings
|Jan||26||DJ Lisa Gendron (also Rebels DJ) |
BOARD meeting at 5 pm
|Feb||23||DJ Willie Braswell |
Mardi Gras theme dance
BOARD meeting at 5 pm
|March||23||DJ Lisa Gendron (also Rebels DJ)|
|April||27||DJ Willie Braswell |
Cardinal Baseball Theme – wear red
|May||25||DJ Lisa Gendron (also Rebels DJ)|
|June||22||DJ Willie Braswell|
|July||27||DJ Lisa Gendron (also Rebels DJ)|
|Aug||24||DJ Willie Braswell|
|Sept||28||DJ Lisa Gendron (also Rebels DJ)|
|Oct||26||DJ Willie Braswell|
|Nov||16||DJ Lisa Gendron (also Rebels DJ)|
|Dec||21||DJ Willie Braswell|
WATCH OUR IMPERIAL SWING DANCING
VFW Hall in ARNOLD, MO
2301 Church Road, Arnold, MO
REAR VFW BUILDING entrance leads to dance hall
click here to see pictures
JEFFERSON COUNTY SWING DANCE CLUB
1. Our Jefferson County swing dance club in Arnold, MO is the place for swing dancing St Louis for any age, any gender; single or married. We also do line dances.
2. We meet on the 4th Thursday of every month at the Arnold VFW Hall at 2301 Church Road, Arnold, MO 63010. The rear building entrance leads directly to the dance hall. Our Sat/Sun dances are no longer at 10140 Concord School Rd, St. Louis, MO 63128 (Concord Farmers Club in Sappington, Missouri).
3. Visitors are welcome. You do not need to be a club member. It is not necessary to have a partner, we have many members who are available to dance with you. Our dance club also does line dances (Electric Slide, Cupid Shuffle, etc.)
4. Free swing dance lessons are 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. (with paid dance entry). If you can do 2 triple steps and a rock step, then you can get out on the dance floor immediately.
5. Open dancing is 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm.
6. Admission is $5 for JCSDC and sister club members and $8 for non-members. Members admitted free on their birthday. Annual member fees are $20.
7. We are a non-profit organization. Our club does Imperial Swing Dancing and also West Coast Swing Dancing. Sometimes we are called Club Imperial Arnold MO.
8. Our club does both east coast swing and west coast swing dancing.
SEND A MESSAGE TO THE WEBMASTER ON THE FORM BELOW (1 day response)
WATCH OUR SWING DANCE LESSONS
WATCH OUR ONLINE SWING DANCE LESSONS
1. IMPERIAL EAST COAST SWING
2. WEST COAST SWING DANCING LESSON – SWING DANCE LESSON ST LOUIS
3. HOW TO PUT IMPERIAL DANCE MOVES INTO WEST COAST SWING DANCING – SWING DANCE LESSONS ST LOUIS
4. COUPLES LINE DANCES
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER, CLICK HERE ⇒ JEFFERSON COUNTY SWING DANCE CLUB NEWLETTER
VISIT OUR FACEBOOK PAGE, CLICK HERE ⇒ JEFFERSON COUNTY SWING DANCE CLUB FACEBOOK PAGE
Jefferson County Dance flyer and DJs schedule (quarterly flyer) (click here) PDF file ⇒ qtrlyflyer
Jefferson County Dance Club newsletter ⇒ NEWS LETTER
Visit our membership page for information on becoming a member of J.C.S.D.C. ⇒ Membership
FOR CLUB INFO OR SWING DANCE LESSONS : CALL OR TEXT JOHN ROEDDER at 314-570-0365 OR 636-296-6702. OR SEND A MESSAGE USING THE WEBSITE CONTACT FORM
Jefferson County Swing Dancing Club
SWING DANCE LESSONS EAST COAST SWING DANCING & WEST COAST SWING DANCING
4th THURSDAY DANCES IN ARNOLD, MO
FIRST TIME VISITORS ARE FREE-SWING DANCE LESSON
Sat: West County Swing Dance Club, WCSDC
Sundays: Southside Swing Dance Club
WEST COUNTY SWING DANCE CLUB LESSONS – WCSDC
Dances every Tuesday at the Moolah Shrine Center, 12545 Fee Fee Rd. St Louis, MO 63146
WEST COUNTY SWING DANCE CLUB LESSONS (WCSDC) MEETS MONTHLY, USUALLY ON A SATURDAY IN KIRKWOOD, MO – St Louis Dance Clubs
West County Swing Dance Club Lessons WCSDC – Dance Lessons
- West County Club has 4 levels of dance lessons every Tuesday, 7 – 8 pm.
- Each 1 hour lesson is: $3.00 for sister club members, $5.00 for guests
West County Swing Dance Club – WCSDC
- 1. Has a dance lesson workshop on Saturday mornings at Kirkwood community center.
- 2. 2 hour workshop 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- FREE to WCSDC members
- $3.00 for sister club members
- $5.00 for guests
MIDWEST SWING DANCE FEDERATION – SWING DANCING ST LOUIS
- The federation sponsors annual Caribbean Cruise, Picnic, and Rolling on the River
Southside Imperial Dance Club has a brand new great looking website ⇒ southsidedance.org
SouthSide Imperial Dance Club is a non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of Imperial Swing Dancing, Missouri area.
Moolah swing dance club – St Louis Shriners – Dances every Friday at the Moolah Shrine Center, 12545 Fee Fee Rd. St Louis, MO 63146
Moolah Swing Dance Club – St Louis Shriners Dances every Friday night, with live bands on 2 of those Friday Nights.
Southside Imperial Dance Club
Dances the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month at the Crestwood Elks Lodge, 10261 Bauer Rd, St. Louis, MO 63128. Open dancing from 6 – 9 pm. Beginner Lessons 5:45 – 6:30 pm at Every Dance. Dances begin July 2021.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO LEARN TO SWING DANCE?
It does not take long to learn to swing dance for women who are musically inclined (can follow a beat) or have done any previous dancing. They can learn the basic swing dance after just one swing dance lesson. They can get on the dance floor. They will be able to dance the basic steps and follow basic leads. For those who have no prior dance experience, we generally recommend 3-4 dance lessons before dancing. Group dance lessons are helpful in establishing confidence in dancing with different people.
Is Swing Dance Hard to Learn?
Swing dance is not hard to learn. Most women can can get on the dance floor after just a one hour lesson. The foot work is a simple : triple step, triple step, rock step. Men with no musical background, generally have a more difficult time learning to dance. They have to learn how to do leads and learn to not dance stiffly. If you can do any type of dance, then learning to swing dance will be easy.
What do you wear to swing dance lessons?
Both men and women typically wear comfortable slacks to swing dance lessons. For women: About 2/3 wear slacks and the remainder wear skirts. As for shoes, any flats with hard soles (leather) that you are comfortable in will be fine. Actually for lessons, most men and women wear blue jeans. For men’s shirts: some half wear button down shirts, some wear pullover knit shirts, and the remainder wear t-shirts. For men’s trousers: most wear black, grey, or khaki pants (sometimes shorts) to dances.
What shoes should I wear to go swing dancing?
For shoes, wear flats with hard soles (leather) that you are comfortable in, to swing dancing. Do not wear tennis shoes or rubber soled shoes, as these grip the floor so that you cannot turn during swing dancing. Women should stay away from high heel shoes until they are experienced dancers. I would avoid sandals or slippers because occasionally feet get stepped on.
Destination Swing meets at the Affton Elks Lodge, 6330 Heege Road, St. Louis, MO 63123
WEST COAST SWING DANCING CLUBS – Destination Swing on 2 Saturday nights per month. Dance from 8 pm- midnight. Non-members $10.
SWING DANCE LESSONS ST LOUIS
Most St Louis swing dancing clubs provide free or low cost dance lessons before their dances, including our Jefferson County Swing Dance Club. West County Swing Dance Club charges $3 for members and $5 for guests for each dance lesson.
MIDWEST SWING DANCE FEDERATION – SWING DANCING ST LOUIS
The Midwest Swing Dance Federation has 11 dance clubs, mostly in the St Louis, MO area (St. Louis dance clubs). See “sister clubs” menu for links. Most clubs use the east coast style of dance (unless stated differently below).
- Jefferson County swing dance club – Arnold, MO (St. Louis dance clubs)
- Destination swing dance club (west coast swing dancing St Louis with swing dance lessons)
- Jefferson City Swing Dance Club, Jefferson City, MO ( swing dancing with swing dance lessons)
- Lake Of The Ozarks Club, Lake Ozark, MO (swing dancing with swing dance lessons)
- Moolah Shrine swing dance club (St. Louis dance clubs) (swing dancing with swing dance lessons)
- Midwest United States Imperial Club, Collinsville, IL (St. Louis dance clubs) (east swing dancing with swing dance lessons)
- Southside Imperial Dance Club, St Louis, MO (St. Louis dance clubs )(imperial swing – east swing dancing with swing dance lessons)
- St Charles Imperial Dance Club, St Peters, MO (St. Louis dance clubs) (imperial swing – east swing dancing)
- Rebels dance club (west coast swing dancing St Louis)
- West County Swing Dance Club, St Louis, MO St. Louis dance clubs
- St Louis Imperial Dance Club, St. Ann, MO (St. Louis Area) – slidc.org/
WEST COAST SWING DANCING ST LOUIS
- There are 2 west coast clubs, Destination Swing and the Rebels.
- Destination Swing has west coast swing dance lessons from 7 – 8 pm before their Saturday dances.
- a. Free Level 1: Beginner lesson
- You’ll be introduced to the basics of partner dancing, learn some fun patterns, and have time for Q&A.
- b. Level 2: Fundamentals (non-members $5)
- You’ll learn some new patterns, and gain more knowledge about connection, body-flight, and motion.
- Level 3: Intermediate
- Intermediate West Coast Swing Dance Lessons, patterns, musicality, stylization, and technique.
MOOLAH SWING DANCE CLUB –Dances Friday nights at the Moolah Shrine Center, Maryland Heights, MO 63146
IMPERIAL SWING DANCING ST LOUIS
- In the St Louis, MO, Imperial Swing Dancing is the most common type of swing dancing. Imperial swing dancing is a combination of east coast swing and west coast swing Imperial is considered to be an east coast swing dancing style because the footwork is the same as east coast swing. However the NATIONAL FAST DANCE ASSOCIATION states that St. Louis Imperial Swing is an off-shoot of West Coast Swing Dancing, not East Coast Swing Dancing.
- St. Louis Imperial is halfway between east coast swing dance and west coast swing dance. It uses the east coast dance footwork and faster tempo, but uses the west coast dance slot pattern with west coast dance turns.
- A non-dancer cannot tell the difference between a west swing basic move and an east coast swing sugar push move. Those two dance moves will look the same. But to the dancers, there is a huge difference.
- The Midwest Swing Dance Federation has 9 dance clubs, mostly in the St Louis, MO area. Most of these St. Louis dance clubs use the east coast imperial style. Everyone is welcome at any of the St Louis swing dance clubs. You do not need to be a club member. Each St Louis dance club offers free or nominal cost dance lessons for beginners the hour before their dance starts. These dance lessons are group lessons, where you rotate partners to be sure that everyone learns the lesson equally well. Partners are not needed for the dance lessons. Each club has its own website that lists the dates of their dances.
What’s the difference between East Coast Swing and West Coast Swing?
- Imperial east coast swing dancing and west coast swing dancing are similar but distinct dances. Both styles are danced in the slot.
- West Coast Swing is generally seen as a little slower, more stylized dance. Imperial east coast swing is a little faster dance, using pop music such as Lady Gaga or Rihanna. For both dance styles, dancers often stay within a specific rectangular slot on the dance floor, moving in an up and down section.
- Both dances use a 6 count pattern of triple step, triple, step, two step. But the way the steps are counted is different.
- When people see that we teach both East and West Coast Swing Dance Lessons at the Jefferson County Swing Dancing Club, their first reaction is often, “What’s the difference?” Because a lot a beginning dancers assume that “swing dancing” in itself is a singular dance style, they don’t realize that there is more than one type.
Swing Dancing Steps (6 count patterns)
- The East Coast style dance is made up of two triple steps and a two step (rock step).
- The West Coast style dance is made up of two walking steps and two triple steps.
Swing Dance Types
- East Coast Swing Dancing – is a simpler 6-count variation that spawned from the six-count variations of the Lindy Hop. It evolved with swing-band music of the 1940s and the work of the Arthur Murray dance studios in the 1940s. It is also known as Six-count Swing, Triple-Step Swing, or Single-Time Swing. East Coast Swing has very simple structure and footwork along with basic moves and styling. It is popular for its simple nature and is often danced to slow, medium, or fast tempo jazz, blues, or rock and roll.
- West Coast Swing Dancing- was developed in the 1940s, as a stylistic variation on the Los Angeles style of the Lindy Hop. It is a slotted dance and is done to a wide variety of music including: blues, rock and roll, country western, pop, hip hop, smooth, cool jazz, R& B, and funk music. It is popular throughout the United States and Canada but was uncommon in Europe and much of Asia until the 21st Century.
- Carolina Shag – was danced along the strands between Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, and Wilmington, North Carolina, during the 1940s but, during the 1990s and later, has expanded to many other places. It is most often associated with beach music, which refers to songs that are rhythm-and-blues-based.
- Imperial Swing – is a cross between East Coast and West Coast Swing as it is done both in slot and in the round. It started at the Club Imperial in St Louis.
- Lindy Hop –
ABA CLUBS (American Bop Association) – East coast
- Atlanta Swing Dancing, Atlanta, GA – atlantaswingdancers.com
- Chicago Jitterbug Club, Chicago, IL – chicagojitterbugclub.com
- Chicago’s Windy City Jitterbug Club, Chicago, IL – jitterbugchicago.com
- Choo Choo Shag Club, Chattanooga, TN – choochooshagclub.com
- Cincinnati Bop Club, Cincinnati, OH – cincibop.com
- Corvette City Bop Club, Bowling Green, KY – corvettecitybopanddanceclub.com
- Derby City Bop Association, Louisville, KY – derbycitybop.com
- Evansville River City Bop Club, Evansville, IN – ercbopclub.com
- Indy Dancers, Indianapolis, In – indydancers.com
- Great Lakes Club, Burton, MI – glsdc.org
- Jefferson City Swing Dance Club, Jefferson City, MO – jeffersoncityswingdanceclub.wildapricot.org
- Lake Of The Ozarks Swing Dance Club, Lake Ozark, MO – lakeozarksswingdance.com
- LEXDANCE, Lexington, KY – facebook.com/lexdanceky
- Little Rock Bop Club, North Little Rock, AR – littlerockbopclub.com
- Memphis Bop Club, Memphis, TN – thememphisbopclub.com
- Mid-Ohio Boogie Club, New Albany, OH – midohioboogieclub.org
- Magic City Boppers, Birmingham, AL – magiccityboppers.wixsite.com/magiccityboppers
- Midwest United States Imperial Club, Collinsville, IL (St Louis area)- musicswingdance.com
- Moolah Swing Dance Club, St. Louis, MO – mssdc.org
- Music City Bop Club, Goodlettsville, TN (Nashville Area) – musiccitybopclub.com/
- Ohio’s North Coast Jitterbug Connection, Cuyahoga, OH – oncjc.org
- STL Rebels, West Coast, St. Louis – stlrebels.com/
- R & B Shag Club of Spartanburg, Spartanburg, SC – rbshagclub.org
- Shag Atlanta, Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area) – shagatlanta.com
- Smoky Mountain Shaggers, Knoxville, TN – smokymountainshaggers.com/
- Southside Imperial Dance Club, St. Louis, MO – southsidedance.org
- Spa City Bop, Hot Springs, AR – spacitydanceclub.com/welcome—main-menu.html
- St Charles Imperial Dance Club, St. Peters, MO (St. Louis Area) – scidc.com/
- St Louis Imperial Dance Club, St. Ann, MO (St. Louis Area) – slidc.org/
- Steel City Boogie Club, Pittsburgh, PA – steelcityboogieclub.org/
- Tampa Bay Beach Boppers, Tampa Bay, FL – tampabaybeachboppers.com/
- Top Of Kentucky Boogie Club, Fort Mitchell, KY – topofky.com/
- West County Swing Dance Club, Manchester, MO (St. Louis Area) – wcsdc.com/